Thursday 18 June 2009

Infernal Affairs apparently not Current Affairs

You will no doubt have heard of this series of Hong Kong movies and the endless praise that has been showered upon them. They are without a doubt good films; nearly everyone says so. They also came out five years ago so this is not a review. Although I am a legitimate geek, I'm rather a lazy one and not as up to speed or as on the pulse as some of my counterparts. I don't constantly have my nose in the air, sniffing the winds of change in the realm of Middlearth and therefore when I do eventually become an obsessive fanboy, I tend to stand alone and pitiful in my long delayed appreciation. So five years later I now want to be/rifle through the rubbish bins of Hong Kong star Tony Leung.

In my day to day life I'm sure my friends would agree that I'm a young Marlon Brando type inspirational leader of the pack (minus the camp leather caps). Cool, calm, slick: the chicks dig it. However, as I began watching Infernal Affairs I, I felt the transformation take over me. "My god this is so cool" I said to myself as there was no one else in the room. After Infernal Affairs III I was hooked. The acting is so good. The premise is so cool. The script is so crisp. The twists make my neck hurt. WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND? Never again will I lead a normal life unless I can get this obsession to subside which means seeking out and watching every film any of the actors from Infernal Affairs have ever produced.

I cannot really express how good the films are. Certainly as good as the godfather trilogy, (not three), and I strongly recommend that you get sucked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment