Thursday 2 July 2009

Identity Crises: Questioning the Legitimacy of my Geekiness

I have recently been rejected. Not by a potential lover or by a street dancing crew, but by a large conglomerate. Looking for a place on the editorial team of The EIU I was given a sub editing test which I promptly and effectively failed. I was extremely concise in my mistakes which ensured that I got everything absolutely wrong and now I will have to suffer the throes of a punctured self-esteem and the embarrassing sound of a quickly deflating head. There is something slightly revealing about being refused entry to an Intelligence Unit; you have an undeniable confirmation that you belong to another unit.

Worse than any of these thing however is the fact that I now have to question my own geekiness. Indeed when told that I would have to be refused entry to the building if I attempted to show up again, it was suggested that the person who would eventually attain the coveted position would have to be "geeky" about editing. "But that's me!" I screamed, tears falling down my ruddy face and a fine layer of mucus manifesting itself just around my nostrils. Obviously though, it's not. If I were the geek for the job I would have gained a savant like result on the test and then written a commentary in the extra twenty minutes at the end.

So the big questions come up. I'm definitely obsessive- there's no doubt about it- but I'm not obsessive enough to be useful. So readers I ask you, The Intelligence Unit has given it's decree and suggested that perhaps I am not a geek. What do you think constitutes a geek? Please know that this question is delivered on nothing but pure faith because I know that we don't have a giant readership.

1 comment:

  1. I think we are geeky enough to be useful, just in areas of knowledge that are so specific as to be rarely called upon by normal society. However if, for example, Square-Enix were remaking FF7/FF8 on the PS3, I/you would be a shoe in for the "how to make this even better!" unit.

    ReplyDelete